I am Still Pissed About How I Met Your Mother Finale
Kids, remember 2014?
It was the year Dexter survived, Jesse Pinkman survived, even Joeffry Baratheon was alive back then, but guess who died?
It's been 2 years, and I am still pissed at How I Met Your Mother finale.
Last week, I was getting bored and I saw How I Met Your Mother on Netflix and I thought, it can't be as bad as the new Get Down series so I started the very first episode and ended up watching the whole 8 seasons in a week. Yes kids, that's what happens when you get Netflix.
If you are a HIMYM fan, you might remember that the show actually has 9 seasons. But I just couldn't bring myself to watch the 9th season again. In short, I was not in mood for torture.
Watching the show from the very first episode reminded me what a great show HIMYM was. Some of the jokes from it will never get old. And yet, I cannot fathom what made the show writers kill the mother and have an entire season dedicated to Barney and Robin's wedding. Poor Marshall and Lilly just got 2 episodes for their wedding and they didn't even get divorced!
I could have made peace with how the show ended, but the way the ending was approached was just bad. There were a lot of things I hated about the last season of HIMYM, including:
- Why make an entire season about Robin and Barney's wedding?
- More than Ted, Robin was in love with Barney, for years. That was the reason she left Ted's apartment and got her own place.
- I understand Ted was supposed to end up with Robin, but why kill the mother in the process? Moreover, why name the show after her? Also, how did she die?
- There was so much build up about the mother when she was first seen in Season 8 finale, but honestly we didn't see much of her the whole season 9
- So Marshall became a judge and then got into politics, but what happened to Lilly's career? Did she become an art collector or not? Do the writers not care about her career? #feminism
A few weeks after the finale, it was revealed that the show runners had shot another ending which finally made its way through, but I never saw it before because I was just so pissed. But this time, I did watch it, and I have to say, the alternate ending is much, much better.
In case you haven't watched it too, here it is: