Indian Tatkal Passport Procedure
I got my passport under the tatkal scheme a few months back, my old one had expired and I needed a new passport urgently to give an exam. Little did I realize, the new 'online' tatkal passport scheme is way more tiring than the actual scheme. When I was preparing my documents for the procedure I was shocked to see there was no complete information on any website. Ofcourse the Passport Seva website was pathetic and gave only half of the information. As a result, I had to go to the passport office in Bhopal around 5 times just to get my application accepted and then it took around 25 days for my passport to arrive. That meant 1 month of just travelling to Bhopal and another month of waiting, I had to reschedule my exam in the end which took a toll on my results.
The whole process has been digitized by TCS, half of the work is undertaken by it and the rest half is under the government employees. This again creates a lot of confusion because lets face it, TCS has engineers in it, they know how to code and work the computer but they fall a little weak if you ask them about the actual passport problems. I don't blame the TCS guys here, I blame the government. There should be a clear transparent division between both of them otherwise these passport procedures will continue to be torturing.
Steps to get your tatkal passport :
- Register on the Passport Seva website
- After you have logged in, you have to 'Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport'
- As you apply, you need to pay for the Tatkal fees and only then you can schedule an appointment in your state's capital to submit your form
- Note that you can only submit Tatkal forms in person and not through post
- You can chose the date of the appointment but you cannot chose the time. It is automatically given by the system
- Always avoid taking appointments for Mondays or Fridays since these are the days with maximum rush
- You need to carry ALL ORIGINAL copies of your documents along with 3 self attested photocopies of each
- You might carry your passport size photos too but your photos will be clicked then and there
- The entire procedure takes around 2-3 hours
Document Requirements :
This is probably something you should take very seriously, if you get even one document wrong your application might get rejected. Even if your application gets rejected, you don't have to pay the tatkal fees again you just need to get a new appointment online.
- Go through the Document Advisor and see which documents you need
- Two basic documents that you would need despite everything (click on their names to get the format) :
- Annexure F : This need to be provided on the official stationary of a verifying authority. That is, it needs to be typed in on the official letterpad of the authority. The authority could be the Collector, ADM or DM of the city. Note that you need TWO original copies of this document
- Annexure I : This is a standard affidavit document that can be obtained from any notary officer
- Though on the document advisor, you might find Annexure F listed as optional but that is wrong. I talked to a Passport Officer and both of these documents are compulsory under the Tatkal Scheme
- Next, you need documents for address proof. Here is an extensive list of documents that are accepted. You need atleast 3 documents out of these. If your present address is different from your permanant address, you need to provide documents for both. Your address should be the same as given in Annexure F. Note that your police verification will be done from where you are presently staying
- For the proof of date of birth you just need your birth certificate issued by the Municipal Authority
- You also need to provide whether you lie in the category of Non- ECR (Emigration Check Required). For this your matriculation marksheet would be enough only and only if you have listed that you are 12th pass in the Annexure F. If you are already out of college then you can provide it in your Annexure F and show your passing marksheets Also if you are an income tax payer, you can provide your income tax return statement for one year. Other documents you could provide - HERE
- If you have had an old passport, expired or not expired, you NEED to carry it with you for proof. But if your old passport has been lost, you have to provide an FIR along with Annexure L for the same
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK IN THE COMMENTS SECTION. YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT ME ON MY EMAIL :)